Clearly this was a sad chair and in need of some help. The supports were literally desintegrating and the finish was uneven and gunky. I debated getting new supports made, however, knowing we are going to spend an arm and a leg getting our Eames lounge chair fixed I opted to do this one on the cheap.
After reading reviews I decided to try Zinsser Magic Strip Citrus Action. I was really pleased with how it worked. For a stripper the smell was so mild. I worked in our garage with the door up, but I could have easily done this in the basement and not have been bothered by fumes. I should mention it was a little tricky working on a piece that had so many vertical surfaces. Even though the gel was thick it tended to run down. If I wanted to spend more time on this project I could have done it one side at a time, but that is on me - not the product.
In the picture above you can see the green globs. I applied a pretty thick coat per their instructions. Next you can see the Magic Strip dripping off. Obviously it is doing a pretty good job even in a short period of time. The brown on the drop cloth is the old finish. I started this project in the morning and removed the Magic Strip a solid twelve hours later. It did a great job.
Now that the old finish was stripped off the beautiful woodgrain was really showing through. In order to preserve this look I sanded the whole piece by hand with 220 grit sandpaper then applied a couple coats of teak oil. Make sure you let the teak oil really soak in and then apply again. Depending on how thirsty your wood is it might require more than two applications. Finally I applied two coats of Howard Feed-N-Wax to really seal in the moisture.
Next I had to rebuild the chair's seat. Like I said I decided to do this on the cheap. I picked up my chair webbing at Jo-Ann's with a 50% off coupon. I think it cost me about $5. Then I watched this video over and over. I don't have all of her fancy upholstery tools, so I enlisted my husband's help. Between the two of us we were able to stretch the webbing and then quickly staple it to the frame. When I finished I did stand on the seat like she suggested to test out our work. No problems.
And finally here she is in all her glory! (Not to mention the repotted snake plant and massive new tray.) I must say all three are much more easy on the eyes.